Lyman Robison was born October 23rd, 1837 in Wooster, Ohio. His childhood was spent on a farm however; his entrepreneurial spirit soon took over and by the beginning of the civil war he was in the mercantile business. Being a man of civic duty he realized his country’s need and joined the Union Army in 1861. Poor health forced him out; but he rejoined again in 1864 and served until the close of the war with the 44th Infantry of Iowa. Robison found himself in business again in Ohio, but the call of the west brought him to Leadville, Colorado in 1878 with the discovery of valuable ore; where he teamed up with Charles Stebin as owners of Colonel Seller Mine.
Robison and his wife Margaret found the winters of Leadville extremely harsh and spent the winter seasons in Cañon City. In 1884 the Robison family made Cañon City their permanent residence. During this period they built their fine home The Robison Mansion. It was the Social Center for the area. The Robison’s entertained Governors, Senators, and many other distinguished guests. Their parties were legendary throughout Southern Colorado.
Robison believed in the growth and development of Canon City. He is noted as starting the core of the downtown with the ownership of the Apex, Annex and Sulfide Blocks; three monuments of his faith in Cañon City.
The Robison’s gave the ground at 8th Street and Harrison Avenue to the Christ Episcopal Church and were major contributors to the building fund. The Current alter is a memorial to Mrs. Robison given by one of the church guilds.
In 1892 he prospered in Cripple Creek with J.J. Cone and the success of the Doctor Mine. Robison was one of the 1899 founders of the Portland Cement Company. He served as Vice President and Director of the First National Bank of Canon City and President of the Royal Gorge Hot Springs and Company. Lyman Robison died January 8, 1912 after several years of declining health. As a private citizen he was quiet and unassuming, loved by his neighbors and business associates.